It may seem like using a pen and paper is a bit old fashioned, but on all my trips so far I have taken a notebook with me and written down the days activities. I have really enjoyed it and here are some reasons you might too:
- It’s a chance to wind down and reflect after a busy day of exploring.
- It’s something to do while you wait for laundry (what I was doing in the picture above!) or while you are stuck on a long train ride.
- A journal does not rely on battery power or internet so you can write anywhere, anytime.
- The journal can be a special purchase you make in anticipation of your travels, or it can be a nice reminder of home if you use one that was given to you as a gift.
- Journaling adds something special to the travel experience. I don’t journal in my every day life so for me it is one of the fun things about being away.
- It helps you keep a record of everything you have done and prompts you to remember little stories. It is also usually a more accurate reflection of what you saw and how you felt at the time. Even if you wait a week to come back and write about your experience, your memory will be slightly different or influenced by other emotions.
- Your handwritten notes are something you can look back on in many years time along with photos and souvenirs.
- Even if you don’t end up journaling, having a pen and paper in your luggage is always handy for taking notes or writing directions.
Do you take a journal when travelling or do you just like to keep memories?